PocketWizard Utility FAQ
|PocketWizard Utility Beta Version 1.63|
|A new beta version of the PocketWizard Utility is available which supports Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.2/3) and Microsoft Windows 10, among others. It also has streamlined firmware updating. Check it out in the Beta Lab.|
- 1 How do I reset everything back to defaults?
- 2 Why won’t the Utility recognize my radios?
- 3 Can I leave my radio connected to the USB port to test changes quickly?
- 4 Why won’t the Utility let me download the latest firmware version?
- 5 Is the Utility compatible with my operating system?
- 6 Why are all the fields in the Utility screen grayed-out?
- 7 Where are all the options for advanced settings?
- 8 What is the latest firmware version for my radio? Where can I find release notes?
- 9 What do all of these Utility selections mean, anyway?
How do I reset everything back to defaults?
Why won’t the Utility recognize my radios?
This can occur for one of several reasons. Try the following:
- Install the latest version of the Utility, available for download on our Getting Started page
- If you are using a USB hub, like in your monitor, try a USB port directly on the computer
- If you are using a USB port directly on the computer, try going through a hub
- If you are using a USB 3.0 port, try a USB2.0 port, or vice versa
- Try a different USB cable
- If the radio has batteries in it, try connecting without batteries installed or with brand new batteries
- If the radio switch is in the OFF position when connecting it to USB, try it in the ON position, or vice versa
- Be patient. When disconnecting one radio, wait 15 seconds (or more!) before connecting another one, and then wait up to 2 minutes to see if it eventually connects (it can take a Windows computer up to 2 minutes to recognize a radio for the first time)
- Wait for any messages in the bottom of the Utility to disappear before connecting another radio, especially "Lost communication..."
- Temporarily disable any software that is specifically looking for other USB devices, like a voice recorder, camcorder, tablet, gaming controllers, etc.
- Temporarily disable any anti-virus or anti-malware software that may be trying to "manage" your USB ports for you
- Disconnect any and all other USB devices that may be interfering
- Try performing a "hard" Factory Reset or "Reset B" on your radio. This can sometimes be effective where clicking the Factory Reset button in the Utility is not
- Try using a different user account
- Try using your computer’s Safe Mode
- Try another computer
- If you’re still having trouble, contact PocketWizard tech support for help
Can I leave my radio connected to the USB port to test changes quickly?
No. This will affect sync timing. You should disconnect the radio and power cycle it (if it was turned on) after any changes.
Why won’t the Utility let me download the latest firmware version?
Is the Utility compatible with my operating system?
The latest version of the PocketWizard Utility works well with all recent versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10). In the Read Me file, Windows 8.1 and 10 are not listed as compatible. We are currently working on a new version of the Utility that includes proper documentation.
We have a new beta version of the PocketWizard Utility to support Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.2) and Microsoft Windows 10. It also has new features that streamline firmware updating, as well as a few bug fixes. Check it out in the Beta Lab. Your help in testing it will be greatly appreciated!
Why are all the fields in the Utility screen grayed-out?
The Utility is trying to contact our servers and can't. Start by opening a new browser window and entering ftp.radioslave.com. If you are presented with a password window, that’s good – it means the Utility can access the necessary servers. If you are not presented with a password window, check your firewall and security settings to be sure the Utility has been allowed the necessary permissions.
If you still have trouble, contact PocketWizard tech support.
Where are all the options for advanced settings?
Click the check-box in the bottom-left corner of the Utility window (there’s a picture of a small blue cog) to enable Advanced Mode and reveal additional settings.
What is the latest firmware version for my radio? Where can I find release notes?
You can find the latest firmware versions for your radios and read release notes in the Support section of our webpage.
What do all of these Utility selections mean, anyway?
The Utility can be used to optimize ControlTL radios for a particular desired performance. Most photographers will be able to use radios in their default settings. To read more about each Utility setting, visit our PocketWizard Utility wiki page.