Thank you for buying a new PocketWizard radio!
PocketWizard radios were created over 25 years ago and are used by thousands of photographers around the world. We are known for being the most reliable radio trigger available and our radios are used by professionals and amateurs alike.
All PocketWizard radios use a class of software called firmware. As of September 2019, we offer 2 lines of firmware which use different Channels. IMPORTANT: PocketWizard radios must be using the same firmware in order to communicate with each other.
- Legacy Firmware: This is our regular firmware. All PocketWizard radios can run this firmware. PocketWizard radios with Legacy firmware may use Standard Channels, QuadZone Triggering Channels, and/or ControlTL Channels with this firmware.
- E Release Firmware: This is our go-forward firmware and it offers users longer range, better reliability, and more Channels. Some, but not all PocketWizard radios can be upgraded to this line of firmware. PocketWizard radios with E Release firmware may use E Channels and LR Channels.
- PocketWizard Plus IIIe and Plus IVe are the only two radios that are currently shipping with this firmware installed.
If you have a mix of old and new PocketWizard radios, you should be able to use your radios together. Please see below for details about your new radio’s firmware.
How can I tell what firmware my new PocketWizard has installed?
- E Release radios may have an E Release logo sticker (an “e” with radio waves) on the back or bottom of the unit as well as on the box.
- When you power on the radio, the LED will flash differently, depending on the firmware installed on the radio.
- E Release Firmware: you will see a red green red green blink pattern
- Legacy Firmware: you will see one bold green blink
- The Channels and Zones are different in default mode.
- E Release Firmware: The LCD will show TxRx CH01 ABCD (and all Channels will have Zones)
- Legacy Firmware: The LCD will show TxRx CH17 ABCD (and Channels 1-16 do not have Zones)
I just bought a new PocketWizard and it has the E Release firmware installed, what does that mean?
- If this is your first set of PocketWizards, thank you and welcome to the family! If all of your radios have the E Release, just hop over to the Getting Started page and follow the directions to get started!
- If you already have other PocketWizard radios and want to use this radio with your other radios, you have 2 options:
- If your other radios are eligible for the E Release, you can purchase licenses for each radio to take advantage of the new technology. Please see our E Release page for details.
- If your other radios are not eligible for the E Release, you can downgrade this radio to the Legacy firmware. Please see our E Release page for details. You can upgrade or downgrade this radio via the Utility as needed.
I just bought a new PocketWizard and it doesn’t have the E Release firmware installed, what does that mean?
- If you bought a new Plus III or Plus IV unit on or after September 1, 2019, you may be eligible for a free upgrade. Please see our E Release page for details about upgrading your radio. Currently the E Release is only available for Plus III and Plus IV radios, though we are working on firmware for other models in the future.
- If you bought a different type of radio, such as a FlexTT5, FlexTT6, MultiMAX II, or PowerMC2, you may be able to update your radio to the E Release at a later date.
- You can also use your radio “as is”. You do not need to upgrade your radio if you don’t wish to do so.
Thank you for buying a new PocketWizard and if you have more questions about the E Release, please click here or take a look at the E Release FAQs. And of course, feel free to contact us for more information. Happy Shooting!