Difference between revisions of "PocketWizard Utility FAQ"
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
====Is the Utility compatible with
====Is the Utility compatible with ?====
Revision as of 13:34, 12 October 2015
Do you have questions about the PocketWizard Utility? Check out these Frequently Asked Questions, compiled by PocketWizard tech support.
- 1 How do I reset everything back to defaults?
- 2 Why won’t the Utility recognize my radios?
- 3 Can I leave my radio connected to the USB port to test changes quickly?
- 4 Why won’t the Utility let me download the latest firmware version?
- 5 Is the Utility compatible with Windows 8, 8.1, or 8.1 Update?
- 6 Is the Utility compatible with El Capitan?
- 7 Mac OS X El Capitan Note
- 8 Why are all the fields in the Utility screen grayed-out?
- 9 Where are all the options for advanced settings?
- 10 What is the latest firmware version for my radio? Where can I find release notes?
- 11 What do all of these Utility selections mean, anyway?
How do I reset everything back to defaults?
ControlTL radios can be reset using the PocketWizard Utility, or by hand in the field. Check out our Factory Reset page for details.
Why won’t the Utility recognize my radios?
This can occur for one of several reasons. Try the following:
- Use a USB port on the computer, not a USB hub.
- Disconnect other USB devices that may be interfering (tablet, wireless mouse, etc.).
- Try a second USB cable.
- Uninstall and reinstall the latest version of the Utility, available for download on our website.
- Try using a different user account.
- Try using your computer’s Safe Mode.
- If you’re still having trouble, contact PocketWizard tech support for help.
Can I leave my radio connected to the USB port to test changes quickly?
No. This will affect sync timing. You should disconnect the radio and power cycle it (if it was turned on) after any changes.
Why won’t the Utility let me download the latest firmware version?
Make sure you’re running the latest version of the PocketWizard Utility, which is available for download on our website.
Is the Utility compatible with Windows 8, 8.1, or 8.1 Update?
The latest version of the PocketWizard Utility works well with all versions of Windows 8. In the Read Me file, Windows 8 and 8.1 are not listed as compatible. We are currently working on a new version of the Utility that includes proper documentation.
Is the Utility compatible with El Capitan?
Mac OS X El Capitan Note
At this moment, our PocketWizard Utility appears to be incompatible with Mac OS X El Capitan. Something has changed in how they handle USB devices. We're looking into it. In the meantime, you'll either have to refrain from updating to El Capitan to work with the PocketWizard Utility, or find another machine to use it on. We're not the only ones experiencing issues:
- Lightroom and El Capitan
- Issues occur when running Steinberg products under OS X 10.11
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan Third Party Product Compatibility Information
Their new System Integrity Protection shifts how things work. It impacts some simple connectivity stuff we've relied upon. We are researching solutions now:
Why are all the fields in the Utility screen grayed-out?
The Utility is trying to contact our servers and can't. Start by opening a new browser window and entering ftp.radioslave.com. If you are presented with a password window, that’s good – it means the Utility can access the necessary servers. If you are not presented with a password window, check your firewall and security settings to be sure the Utility has been allowed the necessary permissions.
If you still have trouble, contact PocketWizard tech support.
Where are all the options for advanced settings?
Click the check-box in the bottom-left corner of the Utility window (there’s a picture of a small blue cog) to enable Advanced Mode and reveal additional settings.
What is the latest firmware version for my radio? Where can I find release notes?
You can find the latest firmware versions for your radios and read release notes in the Support section of our webpage.
What do all of these Utility selections mean, anyway?
The Utility can be used to optimize ControlTL radios for a particular desired performance. Most photographers will be able to use radios in their default settings. To read more about each Utility setting, visit our PocketWizard Utility wiki page.