AC5 RF Soft Shield
|Next recommended reading: Long Range Performance|
The AC5 RF Soft Shield is a simple solution to reduce interference and improve performance of the FlexTT5 Transceiver. Special RF fabric and a shoe filter shields the FlexTT5 Transceiver from RF noise emitted by some Canon Speedlites (580EX II, 580EX and 430EX). The Canon 550EX, 270EX and newer 430EX II emit relatively low EMI and work well with the FlexTT5 without shielding. The AC5 allows easy access to all flash controls as well as a full range of flash positions. The AC5 can either be stored on the flash or it can be removed and rolled up making it easily storable in your camera bag. Its portability makes it an attractive RF noise solution. The AC5 RF Soft Shield can be used when using a high-power external battery.
The AC5 is for use with receiving flashes only and is not for use with your on-camera flash.
NOTE: The AC5 is not designed for horizontal use on a boom mount or light pole; for these situations please see the AC7 RF Hard Shield. The AC7 is also the perfect solution for use with an umbrella with its centered umbrella mount.
Click here to view a video of Mark Wallace range testing the AC5 RF Soft Shield in New York City.
Installing the AC5 RF Soft Shield
The AC5 RF Soft Shield was designed to block the RF emissions from certain flashes (580EX II, 580EX and 430EX) from interfering with the FlexTT5, allowing the FlexTT5 to work at considerably longer range. For proper performance the AC5 must be installed correctly.
The AC5 has two parts, the RF Fabric Shield and the RF Shoe Filter. To install:
1. Slide the shoe filter onto the FlexTT5 top shoe and lock into place
2. Slide a Canon Speedlite, with the flash head in a vertical position, onto the shoe filter and lock into place.
3. Slide the RF fabric shield down over the flash and tighten the cinch cord. IMPORTANT: Make sure the RF Fabric on the inside of the shield connects to the metallic surface on the underside of the flange on the shoe filter.
4. Use the Velcro strap to tighten the fabric shield around the flash head.
When using an external battery:
3. After step two, plug the external power pack to the Canon flash.
4. Position the power cord around the front of the flash.
5. Slide the fabric shield down over the flash stopping just above the power cord.
6. Continue to slide the shield down a little bit on the side opposite the power cord, this will allow the shield to be slipped easily over the plug and cord.
7. Position the cord so that it exits the shield on the back right side of the covered flash.
8. Pull the cinch cord to tighten.
9. Keep the cord away from the radio’s antenna. The AC5 works for handheld or vertically mounted flash, such as on a light stand.
NOTE: The AC5 is not designed for horizontal use on a boom mount or light pole; for these situations please see the AC7 RF Hard Shield. The AC7 is also the perfect solution for use with an umbrella with its centered umbrella mount. Click here to see the AC7 RF Hard Shield.