Plus III FAQ
- 1 Is the Plus III compatible with my camera/flash?
- 2 Can the Plus III do TTL? HSS/FP?
- 3 The Plus III won’t trigger my studio flash! How can I get the Plus III to trigger my flash?
- 4 Sometimes when I turn my Plus III on nothing happens! Is there a fix?
- 5 What cable do I need?
- 6 I need my Plus III to stay powered on for a long time. What can I do?
- 7 What is the two-stage TEST button all about? How does remote half-press work?
- 8 How can I increase my range?
- 9 Why isn’t my remote camera catching the flash in frame?
- 10 Is the Plus III compatible with other PocketWizard radios?
- 11 Why won't my Plus III trigger my FlexTT5?
Is the Plus III compatible with my camera/flash?
Can the Plus III do TTL? HSS/FP?
The Plus III won’t trigger my studio flash! How can I get the Plus III to trigger my flash?
There seem to be some packs that are wired backwards from the industry standard, which can cause this problem. Try the following:
- On packs that use a household-style sync plug, simply reversing the way the plug is oriented usually solves the issue.
- Some customers have seen success using a Wein Safe Sync.
- We also have a cable solution that allows you to reverse the orientation of the sync cables, and trigger your lights. First, plug the phono to miniphone adapter that came with your Plus III into the sync port on the pack itself. Then, plug an M3H cable into the adapter in the pack, and then an MH3 into the M3H. If it does not work, simply flip the MH3 around and use it orientated the other direction.
Sometimes when I turn my Plus III on nothing happens! Is there a fix?
What cable do I need?
Contact PocketWizard tech support if you still have questions.
I need my Plus III to stay powered on for a long time. What can I do?
Half-pressing a transmitting Plus III, either via a camera shutter release or the two-stage TEST button, will cause certain receiving PocketWizard radios to pre-release a remote camera. This wakes the camera up and engages Auto-Focus, preparing it to respond quickly to full-press triggers.
You can read more about this on our Plus III Half-Press Compatibility page.
How can I increase my range?
Check out our Long Range Performance page for tips.
Why isn’t my remote camera catching the flash in frame?
If you are attempting to trigger a remote camera in sync with remote flashes, be sure to set the flashes’ receivers to 1 Channel higher than the remote camera’s receiver. This is called Relay Mode.
Is the Plus III compatible with other PocketWizard radios?
Yes! The Plus III is compatible with all PocketWizard transmitters and receivers of the same frequency (FCC or CE), including PocketWizard-enabled photo gear from Profoto, Dynalite, Norman, Photogenic and Sekonic light meters.
Why won't my Plus III trigger my FlexTT5?
The Plus and MultiMAX radios can transmit and receive on Standard Channels. While the FlexTT5 can transmit on both ControlTL and Standard Channels at the same time, they can only receive on one or the other. The default is to receive only on ControlTL Channels.
To enable it to receive a Standard Channel signal: plug the FlexTT5 into your computer with the Utility running. On the Channel Tab, note that the Standard Receiving Channel is grayed out. Choose which Configuration setting you want to change and unclick the “Use ControlTL for Receive Channel” box. The Receiving ControlTL Channel will now gray out. You can then change the Standard Receiving Channel to match the Transmitting Channel you wish to use on your Plus or MultiMAX. Click “Apply Changes” and wait for the radio to reset.
Please remember, when using Standard Channels, all ControlTL functions are disabled, meaning that you will be unable to use TTL, remote power changes, or High Speed Sync/FP. You will need to adjust settings on the back of the flashes manually and your maximum sync speed will be X-sync.